The Cooperative Business Institute (CBI) is a comprehensive training program designed to equip participants with the skills and resources needed to establish and manage a worker-owned cooperative. CBI trainings and workshops are based on a participatory education model anchored in the tradition of popular education, valuing the knowledge and experience that participants bring to our work. Through a unique interactive learning environment, our trainers help participants flesh out their needs and goals, and work with them to put what they have learned into practice. The program provides a range of education and training opportunities on the cooperative model, the green economy, and the legal, organizational and business essentials specific to worker-owned enterprises. Whether you are looking to strengthen an existing worker cooperative or start a new one, the CBI has something for you. Choose from one of the following options:
Are you part of an existing worker cooperative looking to strengthen or grow your business? Do you have an idea for a worker cooperative but you’re not sure what to do next? We will work with you to design the right consultation/training package to meet your needs and budget. For a free consultation, SUBMIT A REQUEST TODAY and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CBI’s startup course is designed for teams of entrepreneurs seeking to start a worker-owned cooperative. Composed of 13 classes, the CBI’s startup course covers a broad range of topics, including the fundamentals of the worker cooperative model, marketing, financing, democratic decision-making, business planning and more. Throughout the course, participants will receive assignments to be completed outside of class that will help shape the development and implementation of their business plan. All 13 classes are two hours long and are held twice weekly at 5604 Manor Rd. Upon graduation, participants receive additional hands-on training and technical assistance from Cooperation Texas staff and other business professionals, providing legal assistance, logo and website design, and help in finalizing their business plan. Graduates from our startup course walk away with the following:
- A deeper understanding of the history, principles and values of the cooperative model.
- Over 50 hours of training and consultation from Cooperation Texas staff and business professionals.
- A comprehensive resource binder on worker cooperatives.
- Logo and website design.
- A graduate certification.
- Assistance in communications to increase the public profile and visibility of their cooperative.
- Basic elements of a business plan, along with sample co-op business plans.
- A mission statement.
- Training in democratic decision-making, facilitation and conflict resolution.
- A basic understanding of cooperative accounting systems and financial literacy.
- An understanding of the possible business entities, tax issues, and other legal concerns related to starting a worker cooperative in Texas.
To apply, you must have a team of at least three people committed to a single business concept. The cost per team is $1,500, and we will work with each team to create a payment plan that meets their budget. To apply, fill out the application and send it to email@example.com.