Founded in October 2009 in response to growing economic inequality, Cooperation Texas is an Austin-based non-profit committed to the creation of sustainable jobs through the development, support and promotion of worker-owned cooperatives in Texas. We believe everyone deserves equal access to dignified employment, which is why we place those most directly affected by social and economic inequality at the center of our work. We provide education, training and technical assistance to existing and start-up worker cooperatives in all sectors of the economy, helping launch and strengthen businesses across Texas that put people and the planet first.
The Education & Outreach Coordinator builds awareness of and support for worker cooperatives in Texas. While all small businesses face significant challenges, worker cooperatives confront additional obstacles as a result of widespread gaps in knowledge of the cooperative model and its benefits among workers, consumers, financial institutions, and professional service providers. The Education & Outreach Coordinator creates a more hospitable environment for worker cooperatives to thrive through education, outreach and movement building — leveling the playing field for the development and support of a new economy based on democracy, sustainability and cooperation.
- Facilitate workshops/presentations on the worker cooperative model in schools, churches and other community-based organizations.
- Plan creative and engaging educational events throughout the year.
- Supervise volunteers/interns to support outreach & education efforts.
- Develop and foster relationships with community-based partners and allies.
- Write, edit and oversee the design and reproduction of outreach/educational materials, including brochures, newsletters, t-shirts, buttons, stickers, etc.
- Manage online communications, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and blog.
- Assist in the coordination of quarterly fundraising events.
- Attend board meetings as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Computer literacy in Word, Excel, Email and Internet.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Commitment to social, economic and environmental justice.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience with social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Sense of humor and cooperative attitude.
- Public speaking and meeting facilitation.
- A commitment to grow with the organization.
- Spanish-language proficiency.
- Experience with economic development or community organizing.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with popular education.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with cooperatives and democratically-run organizations.
- Graphic design skills.
- $35-40K/year, depending on experience.
- Health care
- Paid Time Off
- Professional development opportunities
Send a resume, cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will accept applications until November 30th, or until the position is filled.